Banshee on Linode

The Banshee logo I recently migrated all of the Banshee web server stuffs to a Linode 768. We were previously running on an incredibly slow, unreliable, and expensive dedicated co-lo machine that once hosted a number of Novell community projects. As part of the migration, go-oo (Novell’s edition of OpenOffice) has migrated to openSUSE infrastructure, and I’ve taken F-Spot with me to Linode.

The performance and reliability so far has skyrocketed, and the flexibility we now have is very welcome. The Banshee web site is powered by openSUSE 11.2, lighttpd, MySQL, and WordPress. The new Linode backup service is a huge relief, which we are using in addition to daily cron-based on-system backups. I’ve been a huge and loyal fan of Linode since 2005, and am happy to bring Banshee along!

I’m also excited to note that I’ve switched our “main” domain name to banshee.fm, a domain I’ve owned for Banshee for about a year but have done nothing with. A number of people seem to love the new domain name, much preferred to the old banshee-project.org. What do you think?

Linode - Linux Virtual Servers

If you are thinking of signing up for a Linode (and if not, you should be), you can help the Banshee Project out by signing up using our referral code: 5ea2a167caa5bec58b16800303350173e3dd094

Three cheers for Linode, and for better web performance for Banshee!

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Banshee on Linode

1. cosku says:

there is a problem with some of the friendly urls. for example: http://banshee.fm/download/archives/1.6.1/ should be http://banshee.fm/download/archives/1-6-1/

2. Good catch. Looks like this is a regression from the upgrade to WordPress 3.0. I’ll look into a fix.

3. jorge says:

banshee.fm ftw. Ditto on linode, they rock

4. Joe says:

Great domain. I’ve got a Linode too, and everything’s been smooth.

5. Jacob Peddicord says:

You’ve had banshee.fm for this long and haven’t been using it?! :D

6. jmalcolm says:

Aaron, I just wanted to drop a line and say that I find your work inspiring. I wish I had the opportunity to use Banshee more than I do.

Also, I am very happy to see you plug Linode. They deserve it.

7. Gotisch says:

Can someone explain to me what is the advantage of renting a vps instead of normal webspace, or a whole root server?

8. luc says:

Anyone ran an Unixbench test on a linode 768 servers, I’m getting around 375 (450 running it with 8 cores @ futurehosting.biz.. I have 1 gig/ram and 30gig with Ubuntu 9. I pay 32.95, I wonder how it compares to Linode..

# wget http://bit.ly/9tBK3N