New favorite way to cook hot dogs

I would like everyone to take notice: I now prefer to broil my hot dogs instead of grilling them. You’re left with the same great tasting hot dog (as is usually the case when broiling meat properly) – nice and crispy on the out side, juicy on the inside. However, broiling allows for one important change that is difficult to accomplish on the grill: cheese and toasted bun in one clean go.

• Place the hot dogs in a skillet or baking sheet under the broiler for a few minutes. Turn once so that the whole dog is bubbly and crispy. I like mine slightly blackened.
  • Move hot dogs to buns, and coat with thick slices of pepper-jack cheese. Stick some on the sides of the inside of the bun.
  • Place newly constructed hot-dogs-in-buns back under the broiler for 60-90 seconds. Long enough to fully melt and bubble the cheese, and toast the buns.
  • If you like onions or other non-condiment toppings (I always use banana pepper rings or jalapenos), place them under the cheese to secure and integrate before melting the cheese.
  • Coat with condiments, if necessary.
  • Eat, and repeat.

I’ve never been able to so cleanly and thoroughly melt cheese on a hot dog until the broiler. Trying this on a grill isn’t practical – you can’t use the bun because it’ll burn, and the heat won’t reach the cheese in time. Any other method just results in either cheese loss and messy transfer of cheese dog to bun, or only partially melted cheese (e.g. the residual heat of the dog).

This has been a cheese-dog PSA.

P.S. I was going to post photos but I ate them. With enough interest, I can post the results.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to New favorite way to cook hot dogs

1. Sandy says:

I’m interested in end-to-end photos, if you know what I mean.

2. Dot Hog says:

i am interested

3. Barry Kelly says:

In a confusing case of terminology, I see that what USians call broiling is what UKians call grilling.

4. Francis says:

Well, I was confused. I always thought that broiling was the term Americans used to refer to grilling. I now see that this *is* the case, only that it’s specifically when the heat source is above the grill.
    Personally, I’ve always boiled my dogs (that’s without the r – in a pan of water, see?), preferring to use Frankfurt sausages over the more common mix-everything-up-in-the-mincer-and-package-it kind. I might have ‘broiled’ them afterwards for just long enough to melt cheese onto them.

5. Baking: cooking via convection heat
    Broiling: cooking with direct/radiation heat from above
    Grilling: cooking with direct/radiation heat from below
    Boiling: what people from the UK do to everything – heat in water, remove all flavor

Note that bRoiling and grilling are basically the same thing. Typically in the US I guess the distinction is the placement of the heat source in relation to the food. Another big distinction is whether or not you are cooking indoors or outdoors. I would never grill inside, but I broil inside all the time, and the results are very similar.

6. Shruti says:

This helped me out when it was an unusually cold spring day and I was
    Craving a good bratwurst. Came out awesome, thanks!

7. Chef George says:

I like how you switch from teck stuff to cooking and food. Cheers.