Stay Classy, GNOME System Monitor

Earlier I thought I’d be clever and use the pretty GNOME System Monitor to, I don’t know, monitor some CPU usage. I should have known better.

Guess what's eating my CPU?

Hopefully this can be addressed…. Until then, I’m going back to top.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Stay Classy, GNOME System Monitor

1. Ed says:

OK, it would not be the first time I was a moron, but…what am I missing here? That looks relatively straightforward.

2. Alan says:

Don’t you mean ‘Epic Fail’? ;)

3. Chris Howie says:

Maybe it’s just me but the fail doesn’t appear to be obvious from the screenshot.

4. You can try “htop” too.

5. If GNOME System Monitor were not running, my CPU would be essentially idle.

6. Chris says:

Ed, it is not pointed out very well, but the system is ‘idle’ and notice how much CPU is being utilized by Gnome System Monitor (GSM). If your CPU monitor takes up that much CPU it kind of defeats the purpose of a CPU monitor to measure system load. On my system, for example, GSM takes up about 20-30% CPU…that is why it fails.

7. Ed says:

In that case, it makes perfect sense.

I ditched my Linux box entirely for now. I really don’t have the patience to deal with KDE 4 (or, likely, ever will), KDE 3.5 is dying and I see no reason to stick with it, and GNOME…doesn’t trip my trigger. Though when I put that box back together, GNOME will likely be the primary DE.

That’ll be weird–I haven’t used GNOME extensively since before the 2.0 release…

8. swivelsnoot says:

If the system is idle other than the Gnome System Monitor why does the network read receiving 2.5 KiB/s and how have you managed to use 1.1 GiB of memory?
    Sure the GSM will use some CPU power to operate but I doubt it’s the only thing responsible in this case.
    I would be interested to know how much CPU power GSM uses with nothing else running in the background -if that’s possible.

9. @swivelsnoot: I said “essential idle”. I never said “completely idle.” When GSM was not running, my CPU load was 1-3% consistently, as monitored through good ol’ top. And having a lot of long running and leaky applications open tends to consume a lot of memory – but that doesn’t mean they’re churning CPU (and they weren’t). GSM is alone eating around 20% CPU just by being open.

It turns out that the majority of this churning is from its process listing updating and resorting, exposing a bunch of issues with the GtkTreeView. The graphs at this point are only partly to blame, but have been greatly optimized in trunk. The current focus needs to be fixing the process listing.

10. Dodji says:

Very very nice from you to spit on other _GNOME_ people’s work like that. You don’t even provide a sysprof/oprofile log. Of course it’s much easier to get a screenshot, write a big FAIL on it and write sensational blog entries.

In any case, it’s your right to be nice or not.

11. Anon says:

I don’t know what they’ve been doing with GSM but it makes me whole desktop slow. If I switch to the workspace that I have the GSM window on there is some annoying lag, same with resizing the window which is so slow that I can count the times it redraws the window. It does it even without the Resources tab being visible (so I don’t think it’s the graph-drawing that causes it). Starting up seems to take a while to… I don’t even care about the CPU usage, right now I’d much rather fire up a terminal and run top.

I’ve brought the slow window issue up in IRC and was told something along the lines of ‘that’s just GTK+ being slow’, which makes me why no other GTK+ apps I run do this.

12. Anonymous says:

It’s much better to just run htop in an xterm, it’s as useful and doesn’t gobble cpu. gnome-system-monitor is something to run, look at the graphs, and then shut down, not to use continuously.