Banshee 1.0 Released!

The Banshee logo

It is my immense pleasure to formally announce the release of Banshee 1.0. After nearly eight months of vigorous, non-stop work (since the last major Banshee release), it’s here – and we couldn’t be happier!

I’m not going to highlight much of the release in this post since we have written up some rather dashing release notes, full of pretty pictures and exciting detail.

Do yourself a service today, and try the release for yourself!

Install Banshee 1.0 – Binaries Ready Today

openSUSE Logo    Foresight Logo    Ubuntu Logo    Fedora Logo    Debian Logo    Mandriva Logo    Linux Logo

Release Highlights

I would however feel a little disappointed if I didn’t at least mention some of the awesomeness that Banshee 1.0 has in store, but really, you should read our release notes. We spent a lot of time on them!

• Artist/Album browser
    Visually filter your collection with album art

• Video playback and management
    Create video playlists, smart playlists, browse, search, and sort your video library — just like your music library

• Powerful Podcasting
    Supporting video podcasts and stream content before or while you download — no waiting!

• Rich Last.fm integration
    Create your own radio stations and discover new music

• Play Queue Source
    You be the DJ

• Lots of supported hardware
    MTP/PlaysForSure players, USB mass storage players, iPods, audio CD playback and ripping, CD burning

• Performance improvements
    Better scalability, impressive speed, lower memory footprint

• Compelling framework
    It’s easy to bring new features to life in Banshee through its powerful extension framework and rich APIs. In fact, most of the features in Banshee are extensions themselves. Drop into IRC and start hacking on your favorite feature today!

New Web Site — Finally

Gabriel and I have spent the last four days cranking out the new Banshee web site. We’ve still got tons of content to organize and migrate from the old wiki, but we think this new web site will become a strong asset to the Banshee Project in due time.

Why are you still reading this?

Get It!

Digg It!

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Banshee 1.0 Released!

1. infinito says:

First of all, congratulations for this release!

And now a question…. will Banshee support in any time genre/artist/album browser? I have about 1000 artist on my library, and the way that banshee uses to browse it now is a bit inefficient.

Thanks!

2. Livio says:

Both new Banshee and refreshed website rock!

3. Michal says:

Finally! Great work Aaron and all the others, Banshee 1.0 is very, very nice piece of software!

There are still many small bugs and a few missing features but I’m sure things will keep improving over the next few month. Keep up the good work guys!

4. Piotr says:

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the hard work and congratulations on the result.

5. Congrats on a great release!

6. John McHugh says:

I have said before and I will say it again……. Outstanding work and great benefit to the open source community :D :P Congratulations :D

7. wildan says:

Great works!!

8. dBera says:

Congratulations on reaching 1.0, I mean it. Very encouraging. Even more encouraging is the increasing community interest in Banshee. I know by now how hard it is to keep community interested in a project after certain time.

9. Matthew says:

Software to get excited about!!!! Great work banshee team!

@infinito: take a look at “Release Highlights” #1. It’s in the 1.0 release!

11. Ricardo says:

Great work on the new Banshee! I think I’ll start using it as default. I’ve always been going back to rhythmbox (althoug i don’t like it too much) maily because of performance and stablity issues. Bashee couldn’t seem to handle me huge music library and also complained at some recoded files (from my dark windoze days). Where do I file suggestions or requests? banshee’s website has been a bit crazy last couple o’days (possibly cuz of changes?).

12. Brad Jensen says:

Hey, amazing work/release so far, and great web site change!

I was wondering though, why not use the openSUSE 11 ‘Gilouche’ theme to show off Banshee on the main Banshee page rather than that dark theme with horrifying orange bars that suck your eyes away from all the useful features in Banshee?

Also, I read that Banshee will be for Mac OS and Windows OS sometime. Though I do not use these OS’s, I was wondering how Banshee would look on them? Would it use their theme, or GTK themes?

Great work, and can’t wait for the “Watch music folders
    for new and missing songs” bug to be fixed!

13. Lee Jarratt says:

I saw a story on the front-page of Digg that Banshee has reached version 1, I have heard about it before but I didn’t bother using it. As soon as I saw the story on Digg, I immediately clicked on ‘Get it now’. Now I think to my self ‘why have I been using Rhythmbox all this time?’.

Banshee is an awesome application, you’ve converted me as soon as I had it installed.
    Great work guys,

Lee Jarratt

14. Pingback: joe shaw / i would like to lick that sandwich

15. ves says:

As much as I was never a fan of this mono stuff, this is definitely a project that was done “right’ from the beginning.

Congratulations.

16. infinito says:

@Michael: nope, it has “artist/album” browser, but not “genre/artist/album”, which is was i was meaning. Or at least i can’t find a way to enable genre browsing…

17. Hannes says:

Wasn’t banshee-1.2 scheduled for release shortly before GUADEC? just wondering, since nobody is saying a word about it! Probably the tab-support is taking a bit longer … :-D

18. Florian says:

Hi Aaron,

at first, congratulations for this nice and wonderfull program. I really like banshee, it’s the best music software ever.
    I’m a design student from germany and very interested in opensource Software. I also design Icons and I made one for banshee. You can see it on my website. Maybe you like it, I hope so ;)

It would be very nice, if I got a comment from you.

Best regards