Something isn’t adding up

A few days ago I went around to websites for all the accounts I have that would require a change of address notification. I signed into my Nationwide insurance account to update the address on my policy, and tonight I received a reply. It started with this blurb:

Thank you for your recent request to update the address on your auto policy. Unfortunately Nationwide does not offer insurance in the state you are moving to.

Great! Would someone mind explaining to me what “Nationwide” means? Apparently everyone except me understands it to mean, “Nationwide – except Massachusetts!” Any auto insurance recommendations?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Something isn’t adding up

1. Garrett says:

It’s typical for Boston.

Sometimes I wonder if Boston thinks of itself as another country.

All the auto insurance in Massachusetts I am familiar with, you either have to have had them before moving to the area, or you’re out of luck. Then, I think there are really shady tiny offices around the area too.

…and it’s all outrageously expensive and they totally rip you off if you ever might need their services.

2. Nat Budin says:

For the love of God, don’t use MetLife. (They recently tried to rip me off pretty badly.)

I’m currently using Commerce. I haven’t tried to actually claim anything from them yet, so I can’t really speak to that aspect of it, but their agent was at least fairly nice and they’re going to be changing my rate on the day my SDIP status changes instead of waiting for my next renewal like MetLife was going to.

3. Mike says:

The joys of Massachusetts… insurance is state regulated so most of the big players don’t even come near the state. I had the same experience with Geico. Right now I have Safety Insurance, through a local agent. The service isn’t the greatest, and like Nat I haven’t had to claim anything, but it’s relatively (compared to other people I’ve talked to) inexpensive.

4. Hah, that’s hilarious!

I’ve been with Progressive for a few years now, and I’d say they are good, but I honestly wouldn’t know — I’ve never been in an accident or needed to interact with them, so I just pay the bills and keep quiet.

My ex has had a really good experience with Allstate; she got into a bad accident and they were very helpful. The coverage sucked tho, so they couldn’t help her much.

Cheers! Good luck with the move and all!

5. Byron says:

Yeah, most insurance companies won’t do business in Massachusetts. I had MetLife, but it was for a motorcycle (even more fun!) and I can’t claim anything about the quality/price. The prices generally suck though.

6. Wayne says:

Reminds me of…

Tiny: Wayne. How you doin’?
    Wayne: Hey, Tiny, who’s playing today?
    Tiny: Jolly Green Giants and the Shitty Beetles.
    Wayne: Shitty Beetles? Are they any good?
    Tiny: They suck.
    Wayne: Then it’s not just a clever name.

7. Matt Philmon says:

I don’t know the area… so I can’t say whether they are there or not but I’ve been with State Farm since I turned 16 (18 years ago…) and I’ve never even considered switching. State Farm is great.

8. Jazzybob says:

I would suggest Progressive if they are licensed in MA. Fair prices and great service (only had a comprehensive claim on my Redline quad coupe). They are fast and, in my region, had many very reputable body shops to work with.

Good luck.