The Implemented Window

I am very pleased to report that first Banshee “programming contest” was a success. I received great feedback over the idea, and more importantly, four top-notch submissions. The judging was difficult because each submission was well written and each functioned properly.

So without further ado, I bring you Felipe Almeida Lessa’s winning implementation, now committed to Banshee Subversion (see previous post for checkout details), just as it was submitted.

Felipe's Implementation

This is an excellent implementation, and with just a few tweaks and an extra sprinkle of love, will become the next official Banshee plugin. Many thanks to Felipe and the other submitters.

One of the things that intrigued me was that each submitter mentioned that working with the Banshee code/APIs was easy and enjoyable, or to quote Felipe, “It’s actually quite easy and fun to work with Banshee’s code, it’s very clean…” This leaves me with hope that more people, like you, will take the plunge into the Banshee internals. I hope to get more samples and documentation on the wiki this week to make getting started even easier.

Because this first one worked so well, I would like to do this maybe once a month, so if you have any ideas for a contest or would like to sponsor a small prize, please send me a mail or find me in an applicable channel.

Finally I must mention this: Paul Kuliniewicz, author of “Music Applet” has added Banshee support to the latest release and is calling for testers. Great stuff!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Implemented Window

1. Eugenia says:

Nice, but the “home” icon next to the “full mode” text is very confusing IMHO. Maybe two inter-connected windows or a big and a small window icon is more appropriate?

2. Eugenia: yes, somone pointed this out as a comment on the previous post. This will change as one of the tweaks I mentioned. I used the icon in the mockup because it was the first thing that came to mind.

3. Mikey Cooper says:

Aaron, I have a feeling I’m just overlooking it, but I can’t find an email address, IM or any sort of contact info for you anywhere on your website.

4. Mikey, you’re not overlooking anything :) I have never come around to actually putting the website back together. My email: abockover novell com, and you can find me in IRC as ‘abock’ (join the #banshee channel on Gimpnet!)

5. I’m very glad for being the one choosen. Thanks, Aaron, for the great program Banshee is and for the motivation for creating this plugin! :D

6. great job. i can’t wait for teh next one, so i can give it a whack at last.

7. ghaefb says:

Hmm… Why are the toggle shuffle and repeat buttons now on the right side in mini mode ?
    That might be confusing IMO.

This is great!

just a few things that i noticed:

- I had to change the MCS_FLAGS line in src/Makefile because it pointed to a bansee.exe in /usr, while mine resides in /opt/gnome
    - “View/Mini mode” should probably have a checkbox left to it, like the fullscreen menu item?
    - perhaps overkill for minimode, but i would very much like to have a “Tracks” expander below the cover art which would expand a list view with the track in the selected source, making selecting specific tracks possible (think of sound juicer’s track list, just expandable and collapsed by default)

Also, remembering the restoring the mini mode state after you restart banshee would be cool… same for the “Fullscreen” mode btw

Also, there are no mouse over tooltips

11. Awesome! Good work Felipe!

I have to second what the contributors for this project have said…I’ve been getting to know the Banshee source tree and it’s not complex whatsoever and has proven very easy to work with (particularly if you’re using MonoDevelop!) If anyone out there has been afraid to hack on Banshee because they think it might be over their head – think again! Anything is possible!

Keep up the great work everyone :)

12. Matthew Vermeulen says:

One problem I’ve noticed with the minimode plugin is that a very long song name will cause the window to expand right off the screen. Annoying :(. Additionally, I think it would be nice to have a button somewhere on the main interface to switch into minimode.

Its a really good plugin to have though :) thanks everyone and Felipe

13. Pingback: ken’s blog » Announcing the 2nd Maintenance release to Foresight Linux 0.9.4

14. Pingback: nascar racing 2003 season